This post may contain affiliate links.
Interested in making your own baby wipes? This recipe is simple and frugal. It doesn’t take long and making them this way costs you a fraction of the cost of buying commercial baby wipes. Best of all, you choose which products go into the wipes yourself, so you can make wipes with specific scents or avoid specific ingredients as well.
I’ve included links where I purchase my ingredients for your convenience. You can also pick these items up at nearly any large chain store.
How I Selected a Cloth Diapering Method
Ingredients For Homemade Baby Wipes
- 1.8-2 Liter Cylinder container (Anchor Hocking stainless steel is the one I use in the video. (see it here)
- Paper Towels – Bounty Select-a-size Big Rolls (can get them here cheap) is my roll of choice however you could also use Viva Choose A Sheet (found here)
- 1-2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (found here)
- 2 Cups of Water
- 1 Tbsp Castile Soap (found here)
- 2 squirts of Baby lotion of choice (here is the one used in the video)
Homemade Baby Wipes Instructions
- Take the coconut oil and place it in the saucepan
- Place your saucepan on the stove and turn it on low.
- Take your bread knife and and paper towels and cut the paper towels in half
- Get your wipes container you’ve chosen and mix the water, soap, lotion, and now melted coconut oil together.
- Place one half of the paper towel roll (cut side down) into the container and push down to bottom gently. (You might have to squeeze your roll in there and that’s ok).
- Turn the container upside down for 15 minutes
- After the 15 minutes remove the inner cardboard roll from the middle of the paper towel
- Seal and let sit overnight before using.
- If you use it too soon, it’ll be too oily but one of the great things is that you can use this on your child’s face as well where many other commercial baby wipes are too harsh for their face. Because you choose the type of products you use in the wipe solution you can go for scent-free, for specific scents and avoid products your child is sensitive to.
- At your baby shower, you’re likely to get all sorts of creams and lotions as gifts. Making homemade baby wipes is a great way to use them up. The size of the wipes are also larger so you can get more mileage out of each wipe.
- I’ve also used an Oxo brand and a Click Clack brand containers that both work great too!)
How To Make Homemade Baby Wipes Video